Product DetailsMastered in HD from a 35mm archive print, struck from the original camera negative
Consistently ranked among the greatest films ever made, Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL is so brilliantly conceived and executed that it continues to inspire awe and laughter with every viewing. This Kino Ultimate Disc Edition was mastered in HD from a 35mm archive print struck from the original camera negative.
Rejected by the Confederate army and taken for a coward by his beloved Annabelle Lee (Marion Mack), young Johnny Gray (Keaton) is given a chance to redeem himself when Yankee spies steal his cherished locomotive. Johnny wages a one-man war against hijackers, an errant cannon and the unpredictable hand of fate while roaring along the iron rails. "Every shot has the authenticity and the unassuming correct composition of a Mathew Brady Civil War photograph," wrote film historian David Robinson, "No one - not even Griffith or Huston and certainly not Fleming (Gone With the Wind) - caught the visual aspect of the Civil War as Keaton did."
Store CommentsSpecial Features
* Three musical scores to choose from:
o Music composed and conducted by Carl Davis, performed by The Thames Silents Orchestra (In DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 or uncompressed 2.0 stereo)
o Music arranged and directed by Robert Israel
o Theatre organ score by Lee Erwin
* A video tour of the authentic General, presented in association with The Southern Museum
* A tour of the filming locations, presented by John Bengtson, author of Silent Echoes
* Behind-the-scenes home movie footage
* Filmed introduction by Gloria Swanson
* Filmed introduction by Orson Welles
* "The Buster Express," a brisk montage of train gags from throughout Keaton's career
How many would you like? (please only fill in space with numbers, not letters)