Product DetailsThey call it Giant because everything in this picture is big, from the generous running time (more than 200 minutes) to the sprawling ranch location (a horizon-to-horizon plain with a lonely, modest mansion dropped in the middle) to the high-powered stars. Stocky Rock Hudson stars as the confident, stubborn young ranch baron Bick Benedict, who woos and wins the hand of Southern belle Elizabeth Taylor, a seemingly demure young beauty who proves to be Hudson's match after she settles into the family homestead. For many the film is chiefly remembered for James Dean's final performance, as poor former ranch hand Jett Rink, who strikes oil and transforms himself into a flamboyant millionaire playboy. Director George Stevens won his second Oscar for this ambitious, grandly realized (if sometimes slow moving) epic of the changing socioeconomic (and physical) landscape of modern Texas, based on Edna Ferber's bestselling novel. The talented supporting cast includes Mercedes McCambridge as Bick's frustrated sister, put out by the new "woman of the house"; Chill Wills as the Benedicts' garrulous rancher neighbor; Carroll Baker and Dennis Hopper as the Benedicts' rebellious children; and Earl Holliman and Sal Mineo as dedicated ranch hands.
Store CommentsSpecial Features
* All-new digital transfer from revitalized picture and audio elements
* Nearly 3 hours of new and vintage documentaries including the following:
* "George Stevens: The Filmmakers Who Knew Him"
* "Memories of Giant"
* "Return to Giant"
* New York premiere TV special
* Hollywood premiere and project kickoff newsreels
* 2 Warner Bros. Presents behind the cameras featurettes
* Original/reissue theatrical trailers
* Stills and document galleries
* Extensive production notes, director filmography, and introduction by George Stevens Jr
How many would you like? (please only fill in space with numbers, not letters)