Product DetailsEssentially a comedy about the culture clash between old-world Chinese and assimilated Chinese-Americans, the film begins when Mei Li (Miyoshi Umeki) and her grandfather (Kam Tong) smuggle themselves into San Francisco. It seems that Mei Li has arrived to honor an arranged marriage between herself and Runyonesque nightclub owner Sammy Fong (the incomparable Jack Soo). This might prove delicate, since Sammy is in love with flashy cabaret entertainer Linda Low (Nancy Kwan). Meanwhile, Linda is romancing Wang Ta (James Shigeta), the son of a wealthy Chinatown merchant (Benson Fong). Soon, however, Mei Li and Wang Ta have fallen in love.......It's a complex plot, to be sure, but comedy and music manage to predominate. The songs include "I Enjoy Being a Girl" (a tour de force for the special effects department, and for Nancy Kwan), "A Hundred Million Miracles," "The Other Generation," "Love Look Away," "I Am Going to Like It Here," "Don't Marry Me," "You Are Beautiful," "Grant Avenue" and "Chop Suey."
Store CommentsSpecial Features
* A classic evolves: From print to stage to screen - Broadway legends Rodgers and Hammerstein adapt the best-selling novel into a theatrical hit and a Hollywood classic
* Faces of the east: Casting Flower Drum Song - learn how the film was one of Hollywood's first to cast Asian actors as strong Chinese characters who achieve success and happiness
* The songs of Flower Drum Song - from the unforgettable "I Enjoy Being a Girl" to the east-meets-west classic "Chop Suey," experience the wonder of these dazzling musical numbers.
* An all-access pass to the sets and costumes of Flower Drum Song
* The legacy of Rodgers and Hammerstein
* Feature commentary with actress Nancy Kwan and film historian Nick Redman
How many would you like? (please only fill in space with numbers, not letters)