Product DetailsThis gritty, fast-paced, and innovative police drama earned five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay (written by Ernest Tidyman), and Best Actor (Gene Hackman). Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle (Hackman) and his partner, Buddy Russo (Roy Scheider), are New York City police detectives on narcotics detail, trying to track down the source of heroin from Europe into the United States.
The French Connection broke plenty of new ground for screen thrillers; Popeye Doyle was a highly unusual "hero," an often violent, racist, and mean-spirited cop whose dedication to his job fell just short of dangerous obsession. The film's high point, a high-speed car chase with Popeye tailing an elevated train, was one of the most viscerally exciting screen moments of its day and set the stage for dozens of action sequences to follow. And the film's grimy realism (and downbeat ending) was a big change from the buff-and-shine gloss and good-guys-always-win heroics of most police dramas that preceded it.
Store CommentsSpecial Features
* cc Scene specifiec commentary by Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider
* Director's commentary by William Friedkin
* Original theatrical trailer
* "Making the Connection: The Untold Stories" - behind the scenes documentary
* "Poughkeepsie Shuffle" BBC documentary
* Deleted scenes documentary hosted by William Friedkin (contains 7 deleted scenes)
* Still gallery
* Trailers (The French Connection & French Connection II
How many would you like? (please only fill in space with numbers, not letters)